Thursday, January 26, 2012

Why get a tablet when you have a laptop and smart phone?

I was inspired by this post by Joe Wilcox and conversations with fellow IT colleagues at work.


To help profile me, I own a rooted HTC Desire, rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and a laptop running Ubuntu 11.10  I have to admit when the iPad was released I couldn't see the point in it. I had a iPhone and a laptop and there was no room in my life for a tablet. That's because there was no gap...

When I got my tablet it had to steal market share / functionality from my phone and laptop. The games, apps, reading, web browsing, photos and video viewing is now the job of my tablet. It has become my "fun" device. Its easier to sit and relax on a sofa with a tablet while watching tele, than boiling my balls with a laptop or straining my eyes on a small mobile screen.

But... anything creative and/or work related (video and photo editing, blogging and financial planning) and I must resort back to using my laptop because tablets are just not very good for typing or multitasking. My tab is wifi only so I still need a smart phone for calls, texts and remote browsing.

NOTE: I am making this blog post using my laptop.

I had hoped when I bought my tablet that it would replace my laptop eventually and I think it could for most people. If you are anything like me then it won't be long until you crave a keyboard, need more power or multitasking. But I love my tablet because I associate it with fun...

No comments: