Saturday, May 12, 2012

Top Andoid apps that a power user would use

Here are the Android apps I use and roughly how I configure them...

Disclaimer: My phone is a rooted HTC Sensation  with a ICS rom called Revolution HD and all prices quoted are at time of posting.

Lets start with System Apps

Titanium backup is the only real choice for backup but it does requires root. This app is your friend after installing that new rom which required a wipe of all your data. TB enables you to restore all your apps with data back on to your device. Key features I use are:

  • Backup scheduling - Every other night at about 2am I backup any changed apps or new apps. Then once a week backup jobs runs during the night to redo all apps. Other possibly helpful scheduled tasks are clearing cache once a week and deleting backups of uninstalled apps.
  • Syncing to Dropbox - other services are available like box and google drive but I use Dropbox. Setting it to automatically sync after a full redo of all apps is my preference.
You will need the premium version if you want to use it like me. At time of writing it was £4.50


Rom Manager is basically a front end to ClockworkMod recovery. ClockworkMod is a replacement of the phones recovery and is mainly used to install custom ROMS. So most functionality requires the phone to reboot into recovery to complete. As a result I use this mainly to control:
  • Full backups of the phone to enable full recovery if things go wrong. Very usefull even if you do not plan to install a custom ROM.
  • Set up installation of new ROMS
I have the premium version but cannot remember if the free version was good enough. The premium version costs £3.99.


Dropsync Pro. A backup is not disaster proof unless you store it in a location that will not be affected by the disaster. For example: My phone is stolen, but don't worry, my backups are on the SD card in my phone. FML! However, this app allows you to pick folders on your phone to sync to folder on Dropbox. Folders I back up are:
  • Pictures and videos
  • Titanium backups
  • ClockworkMod backups

The Pro version allows for uploads of large files, so this is essential and costs £3.49.


SetCPU does exactly as it says on the tin if you have root ;) . The idea behind it is when your not using the the phone why would you need your single/dual/quad core going mental. So this app tames or overclocks (if your kernel allows) your CPU:
  • Create profiles for low battery, Screen off and plugged in.
This app is free!
   

SMS Backup+ saves all your SMS to gmail, not only acting as a backup but also making it all searchable from the web interface. But not only does this app backup all your SMS, it can also be used to backup your call log, also to gmail.
  • I usually have it backup once a day
The app is also free :)


NOTE: To save Battery and Data ensure that you only sync when using wifi and the device is plugged in. Most apps have these setting built but for those that do not you can use Droid Wall


Opps I forgot Droidwall. A very basic friewall for android that lets you decide what apps can access the internet over wi-fi and mobile.
  • I use the blacklist function so apps like dropsync and Listen (see below) cannot get access to my precious mobile data allowance
Droidwall is my third free app in a row! 

Lets finish on Personal Apps

Feedly is a RSS reader interface which turns RSS feeds into a more magazine like experience. I prefer this over Pulse that is too complicated and like currents you are limited to feeds that they provide.

  • I sync it with google reader which enables me to use any device (PC, mobile, tablet or work laptop) and it remembers what I have read.
I am on a roll cos this app is free.


Listen is also a RSS interface but for podcast feeds. Brilliant for listening to my favorite podcasts (Tech Weekly, BBC Click, Lifehacker, Ubuntu etc).
  • To save mobile data I have set it up to download new podcasts directly to my phone each night while I sleep.
  • And it automatically deletes the podcast once I have listened to it.
Another free one!


Last and the favorite is Evernote. I use this on EVERY platform I have. I love it and I pay for it. It is a cross-platform note taking software.I use it to rule... I mean plan my entire life... Some ideas of how I use it are below:

  • I save things I want to it
  • I use it to manage my todo items
  • It stores my ideas for later
  • Project planner
  • Shopping lists
  • etc
It perfectly good for free but I pay just because I do not want this service to stop.

No comments: